New Jersey Juvenile Record Sealing Lawyer

Handling Juvenile Record Sealing Applications for Clients across New Jersey

NJ Juvenile Record Sealing LawyerIf you have a juvenile record of delinquency in New Jersey, your past does not need to follow you for the rest of your life. Although there may have been incidents before you turned 18 when you were taken into custody, issued a complaint for juvenile delinquency, adjudicated delinquent of an offense, and/or sentenced to some form of penalty, officially sealing your juvenile record allows you to put this all behind you. In fact, whether you served time in detention, performed community service, paid restitution, were given a deferred disposition, or even if the charges were dismissed, by sealing your juvenile record, no proceedings associated with the matter are deemed to have ever happened.

Alissa Hascup has successfully assisted countless juveniles in having their juvenile records formally sealed in New Jersey. With centralized offices conveniently located in Denville and Totowa, Alissa meticulously carries out the record sealing process for clients in counties across the state, including in Bergen, Passaic, Morris, and Union counties. When you want to be in the best position for a favorable outcome, you can place your trust in her highly experienced hands. To discuss your current situation, potential eligibility, and next steps, contact her offices at 862-257-1200 for a cost-free initial consultation.

New Jersey Law on Juvenile Record Sealing

As a general policy, New Jersey seeks to ensure the confidentiality of juvenile records. According to N.J.S.A. 2A:4A-60a, “Social, medical, psychological, legal and other records of the court and probation division, and records of law enforcement agencies, pertaining to juveniles charged as delinquent or found to be part of a juvenile-family crisis, shall be strictly safeguarded from public inspection.” Although this may seem rather concrete, it is by no means universally applicable.

Juvenile Records Made Available Upon Request in New Jersey

The first exception to confidentiality relates to individuals who can request information about a juvenile’s case. New Jersey law states that, upon request, at the time of charge, adjudication, or disposition, information as to the juvenile’s identity, the offense charged, the adjudication and disposition may be disclosed to:

  • The victim or a member of the victim s immediate family;
  • The principal of the school where the juvenile is enrolled for use by the principal and such members of the staff and faculty of the school as the principal deems appropriate for maintaining order, safety or discipline in the school or to planning programs relevant to the juvenile s educational and social development, provided that no record of such information is maintained except as authorized by regulation of the Department of Education; or
  • A party in a subsequent legal proceeding involving the juvenile, upon approval by the court.

Juvenile Records Disclosed to the Public in New Jersey

Under New Jersey law, a juvenile s record may also be disclosed to the public under certain circumstances. State law provides that, information as to the identity of a juvenile adjudicated delinquent, the offense, the adjudication and the disposition may be disclosed to the public if the offense for which the juvenile has been adjudicated delinquent, if committed by an adult, would constitute:

  • A crime of the first, second, or third degree;
  • Aggravated assault; or
  • Destruction or damage to property over $500.00

To avoid the disclosure of a juvenile’s record when any of the above applies, the juvenile must show to the court the substantial likelihood that specific and extraordinary harm would result from such disclosure.

Sealing Your Juvenile Record in New Jersey

As you can see from the information above, you cannot count on the fact that your juvenile record will remain confidential unless you apply to have it formally sealed. In order to do so, you must file a formal petition with the court and meet the following requirements:

  • Two years have passed since you were released from custody or supervision, or the provisions of a court order, whichever is latest
  • You have not been convicted of a crime or adjudicated delinquent of a disorderly persons offense or crime during the two years prior to filing your application for record sealing; and
  • You have no juvenile or criminal matters pending against you.

Notably, you can also submit a request to have your juvenile record sealed at any time by enlisting in the United States military. At the time, you must show proof of your enlistment in a branch of the armed forces and if you fail to do so, your juvenile records sealing will be reversed.

If your juvenile record is sealed, it is subsequently placed in a sealed records file within the Central Reception and Assignment Facility (CRAF), where juvenile records are stored. This means that your record will be marked “not available” or “no record,” and that a law enforcement body can respond that there is no record on you if requested. You can also legally respond that you have no record when answering questions and submitting applications for jobs, schools, and other opportunities in the future. However, if you are adjudicated delinquent or convicted of another offense after your juvenile record is sealed, the initial sealing is nullified.

Contact a Passaic County NJ Juvenile Record Sealing Lawyer Today

If you have questions about, or are seeking to have your juvenile record sealed in New Jersey, Alissa Hascup can help. To discuss your circumstances, find out if you may be eligible for juvenile record sealing, and find the answers you need to move forward, contact her offices today at 862-257-1200 to receive your cost-free consultation.